What to drink when you can't drink
My favourite Wine, sparkling, cocktails & beers
- that don't taste like sugary fruit juice
I always wondered why people drank non-alcoholic beer & wine, until I was pregnant and ordering my 3000th ginger beer. I realised there is no differentiation between Monday and the weekend. It's nice to drink something that feels special, even if that mocktail is only $4 cheaper than a cocktail and it takes your rational brain a while to accept it. Order the damn mocktail.
I've listed out below my favourites to drink at home, but please, let me know if there are any I've missed!
In my opinion, don't bother with the fake reds. I'm open to anyone changing my mind, but your best bets are sparkling, rosé, & sparkling rosé.
- Plus & Minus Rosé is the best I've found. Needs to be served ice cold, but nice & dry, and not too sweet. I originally ordered of Sans Drinks but have since found it at my local specialty grocer & First Choice.
- Thomson & Scott Noughty Rosé sparkling Rosé ain't cheap ($25 a bottle) but was delicious, and you deserve it.
- Thomson & Scott Noughty sparkling white is also a good choice.
Success of a free gift with purchase right here. I ordered over a certain value of the above wines & received 12 Days of Christmas Cocktails which have really stepped up my at home spritz game. Save the kombucha for Mon-Wed, crack out these fancy cocktails-in-a-can for your weekend pleasure.
- Naked Life non alcoholic cocktails in a can are great. So many to choose from & so easy to take if you're going to a friend's house for dinner. The Italian Spritz & Margarita have been my favourites so far.
- Watermelon Mocktail this is a fun one for summer - blitz up some watermelon, lime & ice to get that pink, foamy cocktail you've been missing.
- Mockarita - just like a margarita without the tequila hangover! Plenty of lime, apple cider vinegar, coconut water, ice & a salt rimmed glass. Spice it up with chilli or coconut as you would with your regular margs.
I'm not a massive beer drinker, but I have found some good ones that are worth sharing.
- Heaps Normal non alcoholic beer is a great XPA. It's also a cool brand promoting & normalising drinking less
- MP - Zero is a non alcoholic pale ale that also tasted of more than just water (which a lot of non alcoholic beers can lean towards)
There are so many more out there - let me know your favourites in the comments!